[Ifeffit] R-factor and reduced chi square

Wayne Lukens wwlukens at lbl.gov
Tue Oct 4 13:40:43 CDT 2005

Hi Owen,

Whether one fit is statistically different from another is addressed by
Hamilton (W.C. Hamilton, Acta Cryst. (1965) V. 18, 502-510).  This
tests is
directly applicable to EXAFS data, but there are a couple of caveats.
First, the number of data used to determine the number of degrees of
freedom is not the number of data points but the number of independent
points (Artemis will tell you this).  Second, if I recall correctly, the
R-factor used by ifeffit is the square of the crystallographic R-factor,
so you need to take the square root of the R-factor given by ifeffit
to use Hamilton's test.

Having said all that, it looks to me like neither fit is significantly
better,
but I would need to know the number of parameters and number of
independent points to be sure.

Sincerely,

Wayne Lukens