[Ifeffit] R-factor and reduced chi square

OWEN N LI onli at students.wisc.edu
Tue Oct 4 13:07:34 CDT 2005

Hi,
   I understand R-factor and reduced chi square are statistical ways to
see if the model is reasonable (R-factor) and if one model is better
than the others (reduced chi square). But how much should I read into it?

    I have model A and B, I believe A is more theoretical sound than B.
but when I fit them using IFEFFIT, the R-factor and reduced chi square
of B is slightly better than A (B: 0.03, 28; A: 0.04, 33). What does
that tell me? Is my assumption incorrect? Or are they more or less the same?

    Owen