[Ifeffit] P 1 space group

Anatoly Frenkel frenkel at bnl.gov
Sun Oct 2 11:04:16 CDT 2005

Hi Scott,

For molecular substances, the accuracy in atomic coordinates that are
obtained by one of the three most popular methods (e.g., in Protein Data
Bank, the sources are X-ray crystallography, solution NMR, or theoretical
modeling, here is a good review:
http://www.rcsb.org/pdb/experimental_methods.html) is much worse than 0.1 A.
I got this number assuming the resolution of 1 A (considered high for a
protein, see the link above, and estimating the uncertainty of the position
of an atom as roughly one tenth of the resolution, again using the quote
from the same article. Thus, in such protein, x-ray crystallography would
not guarantee atomic positions with better than 0.1 A accuracy.

Resolution provided by solution NMR is "not as detailed and accurate as that
obtained crystallographically" - the quote from the same source.

Therefore, for all purposes, creating a pseudo cubic cell will halp: choose
lattice parameters 99.9, 100 and 100.1. This will introduce 0.1% error in
the distances that are obtained by Atoms for such P1 unit cell compared to
those obtained by Atoms for a cubic cell. This 0.1% error in distances is
negligible for all purposes.

I am not sure Atoms will allow the lattice parameters to be that close but I
do not see why it should not.

Anatoly