[Ifeffit] atoms and the alloys

Scott Calvin SCalvin at slc.edu
Sun Nov 13 16:36:25 CST 2005

Hi Mauro,

Nope; you're using Atoms right. Atoms properly only simulates regular
crystals (i.e. something with a space group), and a random alloy
doesn't quite qualify. (If there was a regular pattern to the
substitution, then there would be a superstructure, and you wouldn't
need to give shared occupancy.)

That doesn't mean, however, that we haven't found all sorts of ways
of using Atoms to do non-crystallographic things. But yes, you do
have to modify the feff.inp by hand to handle an alloy. I describe
this procedure at:

http://cars9.uchicago.edu/iffwiki/Doped?highlight=%28CategoryNotBulkCrystals%29

I will point out that in your case you actually don't have to worry
too much; all you should have to midfy is the central (absorbing)
atom. Why? Because copper and nickel scatter electrons in a very
similar way, and EXAFS is generally not considered to be sensitive to
the differences. Thus it's OK to model your alloy as all fcc Ni with
a copper at the absorbing site for the Cu edge, and just plain fcc Ni
for the Ni edge. Note that bond lengths, ss's, and E0's may differ,
but you're presumably fitting those anyway...the feff paths
themselves should be fine.

--Scott Calvin
Sarah Lawrence College