[Ifeffit] Artemis FEFF for clusters >500 atoms

Anatoly Frenkel frenkel at bnl.gov
Mon May 30 09:04:35 CDT 2005

Re: [Ifeffit] Artemis FEFF for clusters >500 atomsIn the articles by
Montejano-Carrizale et al, Nanosctructured Materials, v.1, 397 (1992) and
v.8, 269 (1997), analytical expressions are published for the 1NN
coordination numbers in different geometries, including cuboctahedral, as a
function of the cluster order L. However, to fit the entire r-range, one has
to know how the 2NN, 3NN and multiple-scattering paths depend on the cluster
order. Very similar to what Scott described, we also calculated these
truncation parameters for SS and MS paths, for any given cluster order L,
but they were not parameterized during the fit since it requires to know
analytical expression N(L) where N is the truncation parameter and L is the
cluster order. Instead, we just wrote several programs - coordination number
generators - for different geometries: cuboctahedral, icosahedral,
octahedral, truncated octahedral, and for each geometry and for each size we
obtained the truncation parameters for parsing the x,y,z coordinates through
another program that we wrote, that calculates the radial distribution
function relative to the central atom. By EXAFS data analysis we obtained
the coordination numbers for SS and MS paths model-independently and then
compared them against several models of different sizes (L) and
morphologies. Here are some references:  J. Am. Chem. Soc., 119 , 7760
(1997) ,  J. Synchrotron Rad., 6 , 293 (1999).  J. Phys. Chem. B, 105,
12689-12703 (2001).

Anatoly