[Ifeffit] Artemis FEFF for clusters >500 atoms

scalvin at slc.edu scalvin at slc.edu
Mon May 30 08:07:39 CDT 2005

Hi Charles,

We didn't use FEFF to create the really large clusters. Instead, we just
generated a FEFF cluster larger than the largest paths we fit, and then
used constraints to deal with all the termination effects. For the
detailed modeling of cuboctahedra (it's been a while--that was the
expected morphology, right?), we reduced the amplitude of each path by the
weighted average of the reduction in coordination number relative to the
bulk for the given morphology and size. A very clever high school student
I was working with (C. J. Riedel) automated the process of generating
these constraints.

This approach is marginally less accurate than letting FEFF figure out an
entire cluster, but doesn't require nearly as much computer power, and
should be pretty darn close for large clusters.

--Scott Calvin
Sarah Lawrence College