[Ifeffit] Artemis- Loading up error

Bruce Ravel ravel at phys.washington.edu
Fri May 27 08:20:54 CDT 2005

On Sunday 22 May 2005 22:45, Zohair Hussain wrote:
> I recently had to install ifeffit software package on our network
> computer. The first time I ran Artemis I was asked to update which I
> did. However, Artemis did not start after that. The error message that I
> got is shown in the attached figures artemis-error1a and 1b. Please note
> that only Artemis doesn't work, all the other softwares (Athena,
> Hephaestus, TKAtoms etc.) work fine.
>
> I tried running the .bat file from the Ifeffit folder but that didn't
> work either. I also tried to run the artemis.exe file and received the
> error shown in figure "artemis-error2".
>
> Later I unisntalled and re-installed Ifeffit and chose not to do the
> updates and Artemis is now running fine.
>
> I was wondering if anyone has any idea why this is so or if there is a
> way around installing the updates and still being able to use Artemis???

Two of the screenshots you sent have to do with a known problem in the latest
version of Artemis for windows.  I fixed it last week and there should be an
updater package released this week.

The screenshot that complains about not finding the elam.db file suggests one
of two problems.  Possibility #1 is that the various .bat files did not get
built correctly.  Possibility #2 is that you tried to run the .exe file
rather than .bat file.  The codes require that certain environment variables
are set correctly in order to run.  We decided that we did not want to write
to the registry, so we use the .bat files to set the environment correctly
before firing up the executables.  Consequently, if you try to run the .exe
files directly, it is guaranteed to fail.  Run the .bat files instead.

 Bruce Ravel  ----------------------------------- bravel at anl.gov  -or-
                                                  ravel at phys.washington.edu
 Environmental Research Division, Bldg 203, Room E165
 Argonne National Laboratory                        phone: (1) 630 252 5033