[Ifeffit] idealized 95-atom Pt cluster

Scott Calvin SCalvin at slc.edu
Tue May 17 10:36:25 CDT 2005

Hi Charles,

Here's what I would try for your situation:

1) Use Artemis to create FEFF files for bulk crystalline Pt. Also
generate FEFF files for some plausible Pt-surface interactions.

2) Constrain the amplitude of the Pt-Pt paths to fall off with reff
in the way expected for a homogenous sphere (I have a couple of
publications on this, including a recent one in Physica Scripta). If
you are confident you know the crystallite size, then use that for
the size of the sphere; if not, you can leave it as a parameter for
Artemis to fit. If you were really confident you knew the size of the
crystallites, then it might be worth it to do something more precise
(e.g. use a magic number cluster), but that doesn't sound like your
situation. In clusters of this size that are "roughly" spherical,
I've found that the best-fit results aren't all that different if you
just use a sphere, although the uncertainties in the results may be
considerably higher.

3) Use Artemis to guess the fraction of Pt's having a surface
interaction and start trying the different candidate interactions.

In advance, and knowing very little about your system, I'd warn you
that the problem will be much more tractable by the method I describe
if the bonding to the surface is somewhat random and floppy; i.e. if
there is not a fixed orientation and distance of the Pt particle from
whatever the substrate is. Then you can be more confident that the
high-R part of the FT is entirely due to the Pt-Pt interactions, and
can thus gauge the relative contributions of Pt-Pt vs. surface
interactions more easily.

--Scott Calvin
Sarah Lawrence College