[Ifeffit] idealized 95-atom Pt cluster

Charles Chusuei chusuei at umr.edu
Tue May 17 10:07:25 CDT 2005

Anatoly,

I did not consider magic numbers & don't know for certain what the exact #
is. The 95 atom cluster is only an estimate of the size of the composition
of particles that was observed in TEM images of Pt tethered onto a a
surface with -COH, -C=O groups; the exact nature of the bonding is what I'm
trying to determine. The Pt seems to be stabilized by its surface
interactions; the exact nature of the binding is what I'm trying to figure
out. The EXAFS data that I have "sees" both the Pt-Pt interactions as well
as the Pt-surface interactions.  I realize that it would be best to simple
scan a sample containing Pt clusters of the same size as observed in the
TEM; but, unfortunately, Pt has a tendency to agglomerate and it is
difficult to get a monodispersed size in colloidal suspension in
solution.  Comparing with Pt foil doesn't work because of the quenching
problems in the fluorescence since there are so many atoms.

I wanted to get a simulated EXAFS spectrum of something that just
represents the bulk Pt-Pt only to compare with the data that I
have.  Differences in the spectra (in principle) would be attributed to
Pt-surface interactions present in the TEM.  I would like to try to get an
idea of the # of Pt interacting with the surface as opposed to the Pt-Pt
interactions.

Charles