[Ifeffit] Re: athena for OSX.4

Paul Fons paul-fons at aist.go.jp
Mon May 9 20:16:24 CDT 2005

Please excuse me for forwarding a copy to the list in case there are
others out there that have run into the same problem.
For all those who want to be Tigers (Mac OS 10.4), here is a brief
summary of the installation procedure.  I should add that there is
not an installer that will do everything at once, but the procedure
is really pretty easy.

I have not tried installing horae on a brand new system, I have only
tried (and succeeded) in making a previously functional horae-051
under Mac OS 10.3 work properly under Mac OS (Tiger) 10.4.

The errors you see are generated because there is a new version of
perl installed (5.8.6) which doesn't know about Perl/Tk, the graphics
system that Bruce uses for all of his packages.  The solution is
simple, you must download and install Perl/Tk and then reinstall
horae.  After that everything just works again. The build procedure
is nearly automatic, but you need to have installed the developer
tools (which are included on the Tiger installation DVD).

First you need to download Tk from CPAN (the server where free Perl
software is hosted). Here is the procedure.

0.  I assume you had an installed and functional horae running under
10.3 and did an upgrade to 10.4

1. Download the source for Tk by
     a. make a new (temporary) scratch directory

                 mkdir temp;
                 cd temp

     b. download Tk going in your browser of choice go to the web
page:  http://search.cpan.org/~ni-s/Tk-804.027/ and hitting the
download button on that page
                 (the file will be named Tk-804-2.027.tar.gz)
    c. uncompress the file in your scratch directory

               tar zxf   /the-path-to-your-download-directory/
Tk-804-2.027.tar.gz

    d.  change to the Tk directory, compile, and install the new Tk

             cd Tk-804.027
             perl Makefile.PL
             make
             sudo make install

e.   now you must download and install the latest version of horae
via Bruce's web page

           go to the site http://leonardo.phys.washington.edu/~ravel/
software/downloads.html#unix and use the download link for
horae-051.tar.gz

f.   decompress and install the new horae source

             cd ../temp   (move up from the Tk directory to the top
level of your new temporary directory)
             tar zxf /the-path-to-your-download-directory/
horae-051.tar.gz
             cd horae-051
             perl Makefile.PL
             make
             sudo make install

That's it. You are done.  I just popped up a X11 window (you did
remember to install the X11 program which is an optional install on
the Tiger DVD accessible using the "Customize" button in the
installer, right?) and typed

                 artemis &

and poof, artemis appeared.  Note that if you did a clean install you
should still be able to get everything working by downloading Matt's
installer and installing the 10.3 copy (it won't work out of the box)
and then following the above procedure.  I have not verified this,
however, so caveat empor as the Romans said...

Hope this helps.

                                 Paul

On May 10, 2005, at 3:08 AM, denauwer at tele2.fr wrote:

> Dear Paul,
>
> We have contacted Bruce because we want to use Athena on Mac OSX.4
> and it is not working. We have tried from the terminal and we got
> the following message:
>
> "Can't load '/Library/Perl/5.8.1/darwin-thread-multi-2level/auto/Tk/
> Event/Event.b
> undle' for module Tk::Event: dlopen(/Library/Perl/5.8.1/darwin-
> thread-multi-2lev
> el/auto/Tk/Event/Event.bundle, 1): Library not loaded: /System/
> Library/Perl/5.8.
> 1/darwin-thread-multi-2level/CORE/libperl.dylib
>   Referenced from: /Library/Perl/5.8.1/darwin-thread-multi-2level/
> auto/Tk/Event/
> Event.bundle
>   Reason: image not found at /System/Library/Perl/5.8.6/darwin-
> thread-multi-2lev
> el/XSLoader.pm line 68.
>  at /Library/Perl/5.8.1/darwin-thread-multi-2level/Tk/Event.pm line 10
> Compilation failed in require at /Library/Perl/5.8.1/darwin-thread-
> multi-2level/
> Tk.pm line 13.
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /Library/Perl/5.8.1/darwin-
> thread-multi-2le
> vel/Tk.pm line 13.
> Compilation failed in require at /Applications/Ifeffit/bin/athena
> line 53.
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /Applications/Ifeffit/bin/
> athena line 53.
> Undefined subroutine &Tk::Event::CleanupGlue called at /Library/
> Perl/5.8.1/darwi
> n-thread-multi-2level/Tk/Event.pm line 3.
> END failed--call queue aborted at /Applications/Ifeffit/bin/athena
> line 53."
>
> Could you if you have time, please, explain what we have to do to
> fix this problem?
>
> Thank you for your help,
> Christophe Den Auwer

Dr. Paul Fons
Senior Researcher
National Institute for Advanced Industrial Science & Technology
METI
Center for Applied Near-Field Optics Research (CANFOR)
AIST Central 4, Higashi 1-1-1
Tsukuba, Ibaraki JAPAN 305-8568

tel. +81-298-61-5636
fax. +81-298-61-2939