[Ifeffit] Need an advice

Anatoly Frenkel frenkel at bnl.gov
Thu May 5 14:31:14 CDT 2005

It seems like one of the problems we have been solving, the analysis of
thiol-stabilized Pd nanoparticles where the nanoparticles coexist with low
molecular weight Pd-thiol complexes, or polymers. It is another example of a
heterogenous mixture you described. We found that it to be very speculative
to attempt to determine the nanoparticle size by the method you described,
since the Pd-S bonds in our cases were present in the surface of the
nanoparticles, and in the polymers, both types contributing the same peak in
r-space of EXAFS. In your case, I assume, the problem is how to discriminate
the contribution of Co-O to the low r-peak: what portion of it is due to the
nanoparticles, and what - due to the Co oxide. It is, perhaps, possible to
construct a model that will account for the: 1) mixing fraction of the two
phases, 2) size of the particles, and 3) the surface coverage of the oxides.
However, there are many options in the S binding on the Pd particle, or O
binding on Co particle, and I find this procedure a sort of circular
reasoning. What we did with Pd particles: we obtained their size by TEM and
used that information to calculate the average coordination number of Pd-Pd
first nearest neighbors. After that, we obtained the relative mixture of
nanopartlces and polymers, so it is sort of a backward approach, may be
conservative but not too ambiguous.

Anatoly

******************
Anatoly Frenkel, Ph.D.