[Ifeffit] Need an advice

Steven S. Lim steven.lim at yale.edu
Thu May 5 14:12:43 CDT 2005

Dear all,

I have a question to ask all of you as follows.

We have been investigating the EXAFS of some partially reduced Co materials (by Co EXFAS) and would wish to obtain some qualitative information on the Co metal particles. If, in fact, the Co had some average coordination environment because we have a distribution of Co particle sizes with oxygen adsorption, analyzing the windowed Co-O and Co-Co peaks together as a linear combination and assessing the average oxygen and Co coordination from the Co edge absorption  (what we do with Athena) would appear to give a useful answer. However, if what we have is closer to a physical mixture of small Co metal particles and Co oxide particles, it would seem that it would be more appropriate to analyze separately the windowed Co-O and Co-Co peaks in R-space, to somehow normalize the Co-Co to the fraction of metal in the sample and use this as a qualitative measure of metal particle size. Is there a way to do this with Athena or other method? Or do you know of a reference where this has been discussed? Of course, we can (and will) make experimental mixtures as references but wonder if there is a different way of doing the analysis or if there is some literature on this problem (which we have not been able to locate).

Thank you.

Steven