[Ifeffit] Re: sigma squared

Bruce Ravel bravel at anl.gov
Thu Mar 31 17:34:04 CST 2005

On Thursday 31 March 2005 17:03, Scott Calvin wrote:
Karla> Yes, and when I regenerate the plot, a window pops up to show
Karla> what range I picked, right?  This window does not intersect at
Karla> 0 on the Xs I picked.   I believe the correct x values are
Karla> written.

Scott> I have seen an intermittent bug in which the window displayed
Scott> is not correct (my students sometimes see it too). Fortunately,
Scott> the window actually used by the fit is in agreement with the
Scott> numbers in the boxes. I haven't reported this bug yet because I
Scott> haven't figured out how to make it reproducible. I use Windows
Scott> XP with Artemis 0.7.012.

Scott> This isn't exactly the same problem Karla is having, since mine
Scott> is quite intermittent and may be related to multiple
Scott> datasets. I'll try to keep a better eye out for when it arises.

One or more of us is not expression him/herself clearly -- I say this
because I am now quite confused.

To use the example of kmin, the functional forms of most of the window
functions are such that they go to zero at kmin-dk/2.  It's always
been this way.  The exception is the sine window, but it doesn't go to
zero at kmin, either.

I suppose that I might be missing the point entirely, so I'll leave it
with this:  without a convincing screen shot demonstrating the
problem, I am going to assume that there isn't one.

 Bruce Ravel  ----------------------------------- bravel at anl.gov  -or-
						  ravel at phys.washington.edu
 Environmental Research Division, Building 203, Room E-165