[Ifeffit] installation of horae in fedora2

Bruce Ravel ravel at phys.washington.edu
Wed Mar 16 16:43:01 CST 2005

On Wednesday 19 January 2005 16:50, ynliu at eps.mcgill.ca wrote:
> Hello,all
>
> We finally succeeded in installing horae-048 in Fedora 2! It took us a long
> time to figure out why Tk could not be detected, but it turned out that the
> right version of Tk is the key. We found Tk-804.027 working in our Fedora2
> system. The right order of installation is also important. We had to
> restart everything in installing horae after we set up Tk.If you are using
> this Tk-804.027, you don't need to look for unix folder as said on some
> web,just simply gunzip
> tar -xvf finename.tar
> (enter the new folder Tk-804.027)
> make
> make install(after this,you can make test if you want)
>
> And then the installation of horae will jsut go fluently following the
> instructions! To use athena or artemis, you need to enter the fold where
> athena.pl and artemis.pl are,and then "perl athena.pl".

Hi Yanan

You sent this email back when I had just left for vacation.  While I was gone,
I wasn't really paying attention to the mailing list.  Today I am sitting at
a beamline and have some time to fill while waiting for data, so I am
reviewing all the mailing list correspondence from during my absence.

I am pleased that you were able to solve your problems with the installation.
As you may know, I am a linux user also (although not a Fedora user, my
distro of choice is SUSE).  I am surprised that you had so much trouble
getting the stuff installed.  For instance, I am surprise that you need to
move to the installation folder to run the codes.   The installer should have
put them in a place that is in the normal path.

So I was wondering if you had any suggestions either for the functionality of
the installation scripts or for the documentation on the web or elsewhere to
make the installation clearer?

Thanks,

 Bruce Ravel  ----------------------------------- bravel at anl.gov  -or-
                                                  ravel at phys.washington.edu
 Environmental Research Division, Bldg 203, Room E165
 Argonne National Laboratory                        phone: (1) 630 252 5033