[Ifeffit] file causing trouble creating chis

Bruce Ravel bravel at anl.gov
Tue Mar 15 10:54:50 CST 2005

On Tuesday 15 March 2005 10:16, Daniel Carter wrote:
> Ok Matt,
>
>          I thought you might have a general idea for how I could
> gather more info for you about the problem.  I did mention previously
> this weekend to you that I am using windows XP.  I also had thought
> I'd posted a file, but I'd just sent it to Adam.  From now on I will
> send a file every time I have a problem.  This is with athena version
> 8.034.  Matts theory that there is not enough of a Mu(E) range sounds
> good to me so far.

Just to refresh everyone's memory, I keep a list of problem-reporting
guidelines at
   http://leonardo.phys.washington.edu/~ravel/software/exafs/bugs.html
Following the suggestions there expedites the problem-solving process.

Speaking for myself, I have a hard time just remembering which person
reported which problem and I certainly do not remember who uses what
operating system.  It's prudent to include that information in a
couple of words.

FYI, among the information in the project file from either Athena or
Artemis is a section that completely specifies the operating
environment.  Here's an example from the first few lines of one of my
Athena project files from a few months ago:

   # Athena project file -- Athena version 0.8.032
   # This file created at 11:10:51 on 29 September, 2004
   # using linux, perl 5.008003, Tk 800.024, and Ifeffit 1.2.6

Similar info is buried in the Artemis project file as well.  So if you
send along a project file you not only provide the data necessary for
one of us to reproduce the problem, you also send along enough
information to identify the OS and the versions of Athena,
Ifeffit, perl, and perl/Tk being used.  Very handy!

As for Dan's specific problem -- I am still getting myself settled
into my office here at ANL, but I intend to start looking at recent
problem reports before the week is out.  We'll see...

 Bruce Ravel  ----------------------------------- bravel at anl.gov  -or-
						  ravel at phys.washington.edu
 Environmental Research Division, Building 203, Room E-165
 Argonne National Laboratory                        phone: (1) 630 252 5033