[Ifeffit] EXAFS mean free path in small particles

Frenkel, Anatoly frenkel at bnl.gov
Wed Jun 15 14:58:41 CDT 2005

Matt,

In their paper, Zhao and Montano studied Al particles that showed surface
plasmon activity for sizes as small as 10 A. I had no idea that Al does it,
and it is very peculiar. However, I have been dealing most heavily with gold
nanoparticles. According to literature (here is another article: Sarathy et
al, J.Phys.Chem. B, 1997, v. 101 pp. 9876-9880, and ref. 14 within), Au
nanoparticles show no surface plasmon activity below 20 A. Our recent
experiment, where we have taken UV-vis. measurements of several samples of
Au nanoparticles that were very small (13 to 100 atoms) and monodisperse,
did not show any surface plasmon band around 525 nm where it appears at
larger particles. In fact, Zhao and Montano say in p. 3403: "we would like
to point out that based on the experimental results for noble metals [Cu,
Au, and Ag] no evidence of a substantial change in the electron MFP value
between bulk and small particles was found". That, to my mind, is an
indirect but a fair reason to reuse bulk amplitudes, at least for Cu, Au and
Ag.

I also think, if HRTEM and EXAFS agree, it says for itself (that bulk FEFF
amplitudes are correct). If they do not agree, AND if other reasons for
discrepancy can be ruled out (e.g., broad size distribution, or
electron-beam caused growth of particles), AND if the discrepancy is in the
right direction (EXAFS-determined size is smaller than the HRTEM-determined
size), then surface plasmon and other losses should be looked into. And, I
agree, it is an important issue to be aware about.

Anatoly