[Ifeffit] ifeffit module for perl

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Mon Jun 6 11:24:58 CDT 2005

Hi Satyender,

You need the Ifeffit perl module installed.  Do you have Visual
Studio installed??  If not, we'll have to send a package with
Ifeffit.pm (and we should make this easier!).  If you do have a
C compiler, building the perl module isn't too difficult (but,
again, we should probably make it easier).

Ideally, you should be able to open a command shell, go to
C:\Program Files\Ifeffit\wrappers\perl\build, and do
   perl Makefile.PL
   nmake install

This assumes that perl and the Visual Studio tools cl, nmake,
etc are in your path.  This almost works. There are two simple
changes you need to make:

First, edit  Makefile.PL to  say (note the quotes!):

  'LIBS' => [' -LC:\"Program Files"\Ifeffit ifeffit_10 '],

(it currently says
  'LIBS'   => [' -LC:\ifeffit ifeffit_10 '],
)

Second, I believe you may still have to copy Ifeffit.pm to
C:\perl\site\lib after the installation.  I'm not sure why this
is, but it seems to not install otherwise.

Note that there are some old Perl Packages under
C:\Program Files\Ifeffit\wrappers\perl.  Don't use these.

Again, if you don't have Visual Studio installed, we'll have to
make a newer version of these packages for Perl 5.8.something.

Finally, if you're developing with Ifeffit and Perl, you
probably want to permanently set the Ifeffit environmental
variables IFEFFIT_DIR, PGPLOT_DIR, and PGPLOT_DEV... Take these
from one of the batch files for athena, artemis,etc.

Cheers, and let us know how it goes!