[Ifeffit] E0 limit

Scott Calvin scalvin at mail.slc.edu
Fri Jun 3 15:27:00 CDT 2005

Hi Adrian,

As a simple rule of thumb, the E0 found by Artemis should be on the rising
portion of the edge. In other words, go back to Athena and see where on the
spectrum you would be if you took the Athena E0 and added the Artemis E0
(which is really a "delta E0"). If the result is on the rising portion of
the edge, there's no reason for concern. If it's slightly beyond that, it's
possible that the fit is fundamentally valid, but that there is some factor
not being accounted for which is biasing the E0 up (e.g. a distance is
constrained to a value which is slightly off). If it's way above the rising
portion of the edge, you should view the fit with considerable skepticism;
it is possible that the fit is off by a whole oscillation in k-space, and
is therefore invalid.

Hope that helps.

--Scott Calvin
Sarah Lawrence College