RE:  [Ifeffit] multielectron transition

Jensen, Mark P. mjensen at anl.gov
Wed Jul 13 15:24:10 CDT 2005

I am aware of two examples in the literature where EXAFS have been fit without and with consideration of multielectron excitation. Both Found a 0.01 - 0.02 A contraction in the first shell scattering pathlength when the multielectron effects were removed. The relevant papers are:

P. D'Angelo, H.-F. Nolting, and N. V. Pavel, Phys. Rev. A, 53 (1996) 798

J.A. Solera, J. Garcia, and M. G. Proietti, Phys. Rev. B, 51 (1995) 2678

In the second paper they show that the effect of multielectron excitations for the lanthanide-aquo ions is unimportant in the fitting of the EXAFS for lanthanides heavier than samarium, and that the multielectron excitations are not even visible by the time one reaches dysprosium.

Mark P. Jensen
Chemistry Division
Argonne National Laboratory
9700 South Cass Avenue