[Ifeffit] Inequivalent sites and multiple shell fits

Scott Calvin SCalvin at slc.edu
Fri Jan 14 01:16:40 CST 2005

Hi Paul,

Actually, the inequivalent sites do interfere coherently. EXAFS chi's
aren't like quantum mechanical wave functions, for which only
relative phase matters. The phase gives information about E0, and
that's a physically meaningful quantity. In other words, if one of
the sites is producing a peak at 7200 eV and another is producing a
trough, they will tend to cancel.

So yes, Artemis and Ifeffit do the right thing, but the right thing
is to add everything up coherently regardless of which feff
calculation it comes from.

A few other notes on this kind of fit: you must, of course, weight
the amplitudes of each feff  calculation by the relative number of
sites of that type. Also, it is quite possible that you'll need
different e0's for the different sites.

--Scott Calvin
Sarah Lawrence College