[Ifeffit] personal news

Bruce Ravel ravel at phys.washington.edu
Wed Jan 12 13:36:14 CST 2005

Hi!

I wanted to let all the good folks on the mailing list know about an
imminent change in my life.  This coming Friday will be my last day
with my current employer, the Naval Research Lab.  I will be taking a
7-week vacation, then starting a new position at Argonne working in
the Environmental Research Division.  My responsibilities there will
include helping to build an XAS station on the Sector 10 bending
magnet.  My new boss knows all about the software and has encouraged
me to continue working on it.  Yay!

For the coming 7 weeks, I'll only be posting to the mailing list
sporadically.  For two of those weeks, I will be traveling for fun
outside of North America and I have no intention of looking at a
computer during that time!

Before the end of the week I intend to have a new source code tarball
and new Windows executables of Athena and both versions of Artemis.
Until I am settled in at the new job, it is unlikely I will update the
codes, even in the event of a serious problem.

Once I get to Argonne in early March, I look forward to meeting all of
you whom I do not know and who pass through the APS.

A period of transition is an excellent opportunity to look back upon
and evaluate recent times.  The last three years in which I have been
working on the programs have been some of the most rewarding of my
career.  It has been enormously gratifying to see so many people get
involved in my efforts at the level of sending me bug reports and
feature suggestions and working with me to improve the quality of the
codes.  And it has been enormously fun to see this mailing list grow
into a real community populated by some of the friendliest, smartest,
and most helpful people that I know.  Many of you have made a real
impact on the product of my three years of labor.  I am thankful for
that and I hope that you see a bit of yourselves every time you fire
up the codes.

Regards,

 Bruce Ravel  ----------------------------------- ravel at phys.washington.edu
 Code 6134, Building 3, Room 405
 Naval Research Laboratory                          phone: (1) 202 767 2268
 Washington DC 20375, USA                             fax: (1) 202 767 4642

 Beamlines X11a, X11b, X23b
 National Synchrotron Light Source