[Ifeffit] How does AUTOBK handle the pre-edge background removal?

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Tue Jan 11 14:47:43 CST 2005

Hi Yu-Chuan,

Autobk uses a linear fit to the pre-edge region, and subtracts
that line from the full spectra. More details are at
  http://cars9.uchicago.edu/autobk/ProgramDoc/node14.html

Ifeffit's spline() command and Athena do the same thing.  The
range of the pre-edge used for the linear fit can be adjusted.
Athena allows you to view the pre-edge line very easily.

--Matt