[Ifeffit] Re: uncertainties in "relative" values (Josh Kas)

joshua jason kas hebhop at u.washington.edu
Sun Feb 27 17:36:37 CST 2005

   Hi Scott,
   if I understand correctly, the absolute uncertainties in the sizes are
still large when you fit sizA and delta_size=(sizeB-sizeA), but I think
that the uncertainty in the parameter delta_size showing the difference
between the two could be very small, showing that there is a correlation
between sizeA and sizeB. In order get this behavior I think you have to
leave sizeA unconstrained when you do the multiple-dataset fit.
If the uncertainty in delta_size is small, then the absolute
uncertainties will be approximately sizeA +- ds_a, sizeB +- ds_a, more or
less the same as before, but the uncertainty in sizeB given sizeA is much
smaller sizeB = sizeA + delta_size +- dds.
-Josh Kas