[Ifeffit] uncertainties in "relative" values

Scott Calvin SCalvin at slc.edu
Sat Feb 26 14:57:47 CST 2005

Hi all,

OK--this one's been puzzling me for a while, so I thought I'd see
what you all had to say about it:

One of my students and I performed fits on some different samples of
platinum nanoparticles to see if we could extract mean sizes by
observing the reduction in coordination numbers as a function of
absorber-scatterer distance (I and Anatoly Frenkel, among others,
have done some past work in this area).

This worked OK: we extracted believable sizes that are consistent in
some sense with what was seen via TEM and XRD (there are
complications that arise because of polydispersion, but that's a
story for another day).

But here's the issue: the uncertainties generated by Ifeffit in the
particle size are fairly large compared to the difference between the
best-fit values for different samples. These uncertainties are
reasonable in the sense that varying details of the fits (e.g.
k-range, k-weight, Debye-Waller constraint schemes, whether
resolution and/or third cumulant effects are included, etc.) causes
the best-fit values to jump around within the uncertainty range. Thus
if a fit reports 15 +/- 4 angstroms for particle radius, I can
construct fits with reasonable R-factors that yield best-fit results
of 12 or 18 angstroms. This is perfectly sensible behavior. But we
have also observed that as long as we use the same fitting details on
all samples, that the fitted sizes of all samples move up or down
together. In other words, if under one set of fitting conditions the
best-fit radius for sample A is 15 +/- 4 angstroms while for sample B
it is 17  +/- 5 angstroms, under another set of conditions the
best-fit radii might be 18 +/- 6 and 20 +/- 7 respectively, but the
size of B always comes out larger than the size of A. In addition,
the relative sizes of A and B (and C and D and...) have since been
confirmed by other methods (XRD, experiments involving mixtures of
samples, etc.).

So it seems as if there should be a way to express the " uncertainty
in the relative size" between the two samples...B is larger than A by
13 +/- 5 %, for example, regardless of the absolute size the fits
find. But so far the only way I've thought of for doing this is to
look at all the fits we've tried that have yielded R-factors below
some cut-off, and just sort of average all the results for the
differences in size. That seems unsatisfactory, however, since the
standard deviation depends intimately on whatever fitting details we
just happened to try. It would be much better if there were some way
to directly fit the difference in size for the two samples, but I
haven't thought of a good way to do this yet.

Any ideas?

--Scott Calvin
Sarah Lawrence College