[Ifeffit] Debye-Waller factors for metal oxides ?

Scott Calvin SCalvin at slc.edu
Mon Feb 7 09:29:17 CST 2005

Hi Ian,

I am looking forward to the responses of others on this issue,
because it's always a tough one. But I'll give you some quick
thoughts as I see them:

Essentially, there are no simple models for the ss values in oxides.
Einstein models don't work very well because there would really have
to be a separate Einstein temperature assigned for each kind of bond,
and even then you still don't have a formula to address
multiple-scattering. Debye models have similar problems.

X-ray crystallography values are giving the variance around a lattice
point; EXAFS gives the variance in the bond length. Thus I think it
is true that for distant (i.e. uncorrelated) scatterers, the EXAFS
value should be roughly twice the XRD value (somebody please confirm
my reasoning on this!). But for bonded pairs this is certainly not
true...acoustic modes generally dominate over optical modes under
these circumstances, and thus the EXAFS value for nearby pairs should
be lower than for distant pairs, all else being equal.

The temperature dependence of metals and oxides are not related in
any simple way of which I am aware. After all, that would imply that
things like specific heats of oxides should correlate to the
metals...think about water ("hydrogen oxide"), for example.

Note that if you are expecting changes in CN, it is particularly
unlikely that a simple theoretical model will cover changes in ss2's,
since the former should have an actual physical effect on the latter
(as opposed to just a fitting correlation).

OK, so you're probably wondering what you can do. Although there have
been some attempts to theoretically model the Debye-Waller factors of
oxides that I'm sure people on this list could point you toward, in
most cases the more practical solution for your problem is to fit
standards, or to complement with other experimental techniques. In
other words, can you find a closely related material that is not
expected to show CN changes and measure its ss2's as a function of
temperature? Or can you get data on CN's at even a few of the
temperatures some other way?

--Scott Calvin
Sarah Lawrence College