[Ifeffit] my problem

Scott Calvin scalvin at mail.slc.edu
Sat Dec 17 18:48:56 CST 2005

Hi Anatoly,

Yes, Vince's 1996 APL is linear, but check out the paper I
co-authored with him: APL 81, 3828 (2002). Actually, the better
reference for this discussion is the longer companion paper, in PRB
66, 224405 (2002).

I agree with you that the "arbitrary" things I did in that paper (and
similar ones) do not have airtight justification, and I have no doubt
whatsoever that the fits I found are not the "true, physical
minimum." In fact, I say so in my paper. The question is not whether
such a fit is as true as possible, but whether it is providing useful
information in which we can have a good degree of confidence. In the
case of spinels, the effect of A or B sites on the spectrum out at
the cation-cation distance is HUGE. Sure, I didn't know what is
the  right way to constrain the sigma2's, and that leads to some
additional quantitative uncertainty in the site occupancy found. But
do I believe that I can tell the difference between 30% and 50%
occupancy by this method? Absolutely. I could (and did) play with
different constraint schemes, and the results were consistent enough
to give me confidence.  Of course, having some confirmation from
probes such as XRD and magnetic measurements helps too.

So I guess I'm saying that such fits must be viewed with caution, but
they still provide useful information...particularly if we take our
time and "stress" them a bit to make sure they aren't too sensitive
to "arbitrary" constraint decisions that we have made.

--Scott Calvin
Sarah Lawrence College