[Ifeffit] IFEFFIT installation problem

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Thu Dec 15 14:21:49 CST 2005

Anatoly, Joe, everyone,

This has been a constant source of problems.   There was an error in
the original version of ifeffit-1.2.8.exe that made it very hard to
use without a working (ie, no firewall) network connection.   This got
fixed in the first update, but if there's no network connection, it's
hard to get the update..

So there is now a new installer (Ifeffit 1.2.8a) which has this
problem fixed.  It also brings you up to the current 'update level',
meaning it has the latest versions of Athena and Artemis without
having to agree to the last five updates.

So try ifefit-1.2.8a.exe (which I uploaded just minutes ago) from
http://cars9.uchicago.edu/ifeffit  (or from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ifeffit)

Sorry for the trouble!

--Matt

PS: to get around the NSLS (or is it BNL-wide?) firewall, you'll have
to edit the file
      C:\Program Files\Ifeffit\config\updater.ini

and set  the line
  http_proxy = .....
to be whatever value for 'http proxy' you have to use with a web
browser on an NSLS machine.