[Ifeffit] Mac installer for 10.4 with horae-048

Paul Fons paul-fons at aist.go.jp
Thu Dec 15 01:06:54 CST 2005

I see.  I thought I had zapped that aquaterm dependence, but I see
that (in the ifeffit build script) that the aquaterm library was
linked in -- there must be some stubs that result in either runtime
or static linking to result in a dependency).  As a quick fix, I will
just add the aquaterm framework to the installer (this is small
anyway).  I take it the only addition will be then /Library/
Frameworks/Aquaterm.framework?  That directly is a total of only 424k
and after compression, the change in the installer size will be
barely noticeable.  Actually there are a few things now that need to
be fixed in the ifeffit configure for the mac. The first is the
changing of the appropriate line in configure from "head -1" to "head
-n 1" so that an error message that configure can't parse won't gum
up the works.  The second is the removal of the aquaterm library from
the linking process. And third -- I can probably think of more if I
try hard ;  ) -- would be fixing the failure of configure to find the
standard (dynamic) termcap library under 10.4.  Ok , I thought of a
fourth, if one compiles under g77 and gcc (using gcc_select 3.3)
there is still one place in the ifeffit compile that has errors
associated with restFP/saveFP for which I had to manually add the /
usr/lib/libgcc.a to the link line in the local (cmdline or lib  -- I
don't remember) to fix.

   In the long term another question is to switch to g95 (stable and
works) or gfortran (improving) for the fortran compilation.  Mixing
binaries from gcc3 and gcc4 is not officially supported (from what I
understand) and at the very least leads to lots of saveFP restFP
linkage errors (as Apple's compiler is gcc4) -- this is fixable by
linking in the /usr/lib/libgcc.a manually but is hardly clean.  I
didn't explore it very well, but there are problems using other
compilers as well (absoft and the #$@% underscore conventions) as
well as g95 (almost works, but I still got some saveFP restFP errors
that originated from something in ifeffit that I didn't take the time
to track down).  I can start hacking the mac ifeffit script, but as
only those first three issues are of importance now, it is probably
easier for you to fix.

Sorry about the trouble with the installer.  I will add the ifeffit
framework today to the library and reupload it.  I think things are
getting settled down now.

						Paul