[Ifeffit] statistical parameters

Stefano Ciurli stefano.ciurli at unibo.it
Wed Dec 14 11:16:21 CST 2005

Bruce,

>According to what you said above, Nvar = 7, so nu=24.83, which is much
>closer to 23.54.

of course. My mistake. But still...

>That still seems bigger than rounding errors, though.

that's what I am saying...

>Here is my understanding of Ifeffit, but I am sure Matt can elaborate.
>Background removal uses the integer part of dk*dr*2/pi+1 to determine
>the number of knots.  Fitting uses dk*dr*2/pi as a real number to
>determine Nidp.  In any case, that's what Artemis reports when you ask
>it how many independent points in a project.  My memory is that I
>checked it against Ifeffit's report of Nidp.

Not sure I fully follow, as I am not talking about background
removal, but in any case, shouldn't the ratio between chi^2 and
reduced-chi^2 be an integer number, whichever? Plus, I have found a
few documents in which Matt reports Nidp as 2dkdr/pi, some others in
which he reports 2dkdr/pi+1. In SK's thesis, which is available on
the net (thanks Shelly :-)) she says +2. I was simply wondering which
is the right formula used in IFEFFIT, and if it is different from
what reported in Stern, Phys. Rev. B, 1993, 48, 9825-9827, why it is
so.

Stefano

Stefano Ciurli
Professor of Chemistry
Laboratory of Bioinorganic Chemistry
Department of Agro-Environmental Science and Technology
University of Bologna
Viale Giuseppe Fanin, 40
I-40127 Bologna
Italy
Phone:	+39-051-209-6204
Fax:	+39-051-209-6203

"Fatti non foste a viver come bruti,
ma per seguir virtute e canoscenza"
Dante Alighieri - Inferno - Canto XXVI

"Ihr seid bestimmt, nicht Tieren gleich zu leben,
Nein, Tugend zu erringen und Erkenntnis"
"Ye were not form'd to live the life of brutes,
But virtue to pursue and knowledge high"