[Ifeffit] A basic question about data collection

Frenkel, Anatoly frenkel at bnl.gov
Thu Aug 25 17:30:52 CDT 2005

I am probably missing the point, but it is not immediately obvious to me why the following is equivalent in terms of improving the signal to noise: a) constant E-space increment and b) constant k-space increment combined with k-dependent integration time. In a), the data cluster at high E, but each data point in E corresponds to a different final state and thus is unique. Averaging over E-space data in the small interval Delta E, (1/Delta E)*Int [xmu(E) dE] is not equivalent to the time average of xmu(E) collected at a fixed E: (1/T)*Int [xmu(E) dt]. Thus, k^n-weighted integration time, to my mind, is the only proper way of reducing statistical noise.

Anatoly