[Ifeffit] A basic question about data collection

Carlo Segre segre at iit.edu
Thu Aug 25 16:13:24 CDT 2005

Matt and Scott:

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005, Matt Newville wrote:

> This is important for QEXAFS (which typically does sample at a
> very fine energy grid). I've been told by people doing QEXAFS
> that a simple box-car average is good enough for binnning QEXAFS
> data.  That's what Ifeffit's rebin() function does. I'd think
> that a more sophisticated rolling average (convolution)  would
> be better (and not screw up energy resolution), but apparantly
> it's not an issue.

I have ben playing with the athena smoothing and rebinning funcionalities
and I think that I prefer the rebinning because smoothing tends to
attenuate sharp peaked structure.  A rolling average might be good too but
I haven't tried it too much.  My guess is that for gentle features such as
in the EXAFS region, rebinning, rolling averages and smoothing will all
give statistically indistiguishable results.  I amy be wrong.

Carlo

--
Carlo U. Segre -- Professor of Physics
Illinois Institute of Technology