[Ifeffit] Fwd: Re: UO2 and U3O8 XANES SPECTRA

Bruce Ravel bravel at anl.gov
Mon Aug 22 18:44:49 CDT 2005

On Monday 22 August 2005 17:58, you wrote:
> Hi:
>
> Does anybody have, or know where to find, L-edge XANES spectra of UO2
> and U3O8, that can easily be read into Athena?
>
> I'm asking as there they are not the easiest items to rapidly find.

Oh look!  Another example of why we need a good reference spectrum
data base!

Here:

  http://leonardo.phys.washington.edu/~ravel/misc/UO2_data.zip

is a zip file full of UO2 data taken by the folks in my current
research group.  This dates from before my time on this job, so I
cannot personally vouch for the data.  But I examined it and it looks
good AND it looks like UO2 ;-)

According to the header, it is UO2 powder with SiO2 used a
dispersant.  The column labeled mcs3 is I0, mcs4 is It.  An pin diode
and scattered radiation was used for the reference, which is in column
mcs5.  Hydrated uranyl phosphate is the reference material.

I included the project file that I made in the course of checking out
the data.  You'll probably wish to further play around with the data
processing -- I spent all of about 3 minutes at it.

I see that there is some U3O8 data on our beamline computer, but I'll
have to ask the person who measured it before I swipe it and send it
to you.  I'll look into that.

HTH,

 Bruce Ravel  ----------------------------------- bravel at anl.gov  -or-
                                                  ravel at phys.washington.edu

 *** My cell phone number has changed.  Please ask if you need the new number

 Environmental Research Division, Building 203, Room E-165