[Ifeffit] Athena feature request

Scott Calvin SCalvin at slc.edu
Fri Aug 19 17:50:28 CDT 2005

Hi Bruce (and everyone),

I'm usually reluctant to suggest new "convenience" features for the
software, because what might be convenient for me on one task might
just clutter up the software for someone else. But here's an idea I
think might be generally useful:

Athena should have some way of memorizing common plot options. In
other words, I'd like some way of making a single-click or key
shortcut for, e.g.," Emin = -10, Emax = +400, mu(E)=on,
background=on, plot single-spectrum E." I find when I'm reducing a
lot of data I'm spending a lot of time changing all the options back
and forth between looking at pre- and post-edge lines, derivative
spectra, backgrounds, etc., particularly since I prefer a different
energy range for each.

I'm agnostic on the form the saved shortcut should take, though,
which is one reason I'm posting to the list rather than just emailing
you. My best idea is to have the shortcuts listed under another tab
under "Plotting options," but that's starting to look a little
crowded, and I already feel responsible for the "Ind" tab (which is
very useful to me--thanks!). :) I'm also agnostic as to whether these
shortcuts should be global to all projects (as if they were a
"setting") or not.

--Scott Calvin
Sarah Lawrence College