[Ifeffit] Bug in artemis of horae-053

Carlo Segre segre at iit.edu
Mon Aug 15 05:58:04 CDT 2005

Paul:

I haven't seen this specific error, but I do see the dialog twice (which
seems sort of funny).  When I first start the import, it asks me if I wat
to replace or add.  Then when I actually select a file, I see the dialog
again.  If I answer the same way twice everythong works as expected.

I have a couple of other minor problems which are annoying me in artemis.
These might be a problem with my installation (Debian Linux with KDE) but
here goes:

1. The most important is the fact that when I start a new project with a
single data set in artemis, the "Data Control" box which makes the data
and fit plot after the fit is complete is NOT selected.  I understand that
it should not be under my control when there is only a single data set but
it should at least be set by default.  The annoying thing is that I need
to plot a fit by hand every time I press the big green button.  I have not
found any flags in the preferences that might help this.  The good news is
that if I write the project out, exit artemis and then reopen the project
with a NEW version of artemis, the box is now selected.  If I just close
the project and reopen it without running artemis again, then it is not
selected.

2. In artemis, the default location for opening new files seems always to
be in a place where I don't want it.  If I start artemis from a command
line and try to import project data, it places me in the horae stash
directory rather than in the working directory where I launched artemis.
Once I have changed to where the data file is located and I want to import
a new data set, I find myself in the same horae stash directory.  Opening
a file with the open file menu seems to behave properly.  If I start
artemis from the menu bar (KDE under Debian), then the open file menu item
puts me in a directly somewhere in my home path (in this case
/home/segre/junk) but I don't know how it determines this.  I suspect that
it was a directory that I once used but if I move around to somewhere
else, then it does not remember where is last was and returns to this same
directory.  This default does not seem to be changed upon exit, it always
remains the same.  I have gone into my .horae directlry and grepped for
this default directroy but it does not seem to be in any of the *rc files.
I am mystified...

3. I often find that the "X" boxes for the upper ranges of k, R and q are
outside the space allowed in the main part of the screen. I think I have
fixed this by expanding the main window size in the preferences (15
instead of 14) so clearly it must be font size problem on my installation.
I also notice that the fonts in the "Artemis palettes" window (with the
Messages, Results, etc.) are not fully formed and hard to read.

Carlo