[Ifeffit] citing Artemis and Athena?

Bruce Ravel ravel at phys.washington.edu
Wed Oct 27 11:53:14 CDT 2004

On Wednesday 27 October 2004 11:12 am, k-kupiecki at northwestern.edu wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm in the process of writing up my thesis and I've used Athena and
> Artemis quite a bit for the analysis of my SEXAFS data.... I was
> wondering what is the appropriate way to give references for this
> software and it's use?  To my knowledge there are journal articles etc.
> regarding AUTOBK, FEFFIT, etc.  Do I cite those? are there additional
> ways I should cite to give credit for Athena and Artemis too?

Kristine,

First off, congratulations!  I am always excited to hear when someone
makes it to the end of the long road.  And I am very pleased that
Athena and Artemis were helpful to you along that road.

You should use the Autobk and Ifeffit references.  They are certainly
relevant since A&A are just front ends to those algorithms.

The issue of a reference for A&A is an annoying one.  For now the best
thing is the proceedings for the XAFS12 conference, which have not yet
been published and which is slowily going through the editing process
right now.  Here is a possible reference:
    B. Ravel and M. Newville
    "Athena and Artemis: Interactive graphical data analysis using
    Ifeffit"
    Physica Scripta
    to be published (2005)

Unfortunately, due to the insanely slow pace of the Physica Scripta
people, there is not a better reference.

Good luck with the rest of your writing!

 Bruce Ravel  ----------------------------------- ravel at phys.washington.edu
 Code 6134, Building 3, Room 405
 Naval Research Laboratory                          phone: (1) 202 767 2268
 Washington DC 20375, USA                             fax: (1) 202 767 4642

 Beamlines X11a, X11b, X23b
 National Synchrotron Light Source