[Ifeffit] Artimis

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Mon Oct 25 09:31:02 CDT 2004

Scott, Michel,

Michel Jauoen wrote:
> I agree with Scott: SCF calculation gives more reliable estimate
> of E0 because the Fermi level is more accurate. It makes that,
> when  several atomic species are involved, you only need in
> principle one E0 for fitting (I have verified this point, at
> least for the case I'm presently working on).

Interesting -- I haven't seen this effect, but I probably haven't
looked very hard either.  I don't think that having an E0 'closer
to the experiment' is a significant gain, as it still is relative
to the experimental E0 (which is usually the fairly ad-hoc
max-of-derivative) and has to be refined in the fit.

But if it can reduce the number of situations where you need 2
E0's, that could be important.  I think it's still not well
understood when multiple E0's are needed, but having some insight
on where Feff8's SCF is noticeably better might be a good start.
Would one of you be willing to send an example, and/or maybe give
some indication of what sort of systems would need 2 E0's with
Feff6 and 1 E0 with Feff8?

Thanks,