[Ifeffit] Athena

Bruce Ravel ravel at phys.washington.edu
Fri Oct 22 13:36:15 CDT 2004

On Friday 22 October 2004 1:18 pm, Gael Poirier wrote:
> I have a problem with Athena version 0.8.032. When I select several opened
> groups as marked groups and plot them in E (using plot marked groups in E),
> it doesn't work and only the last opened spectrum appears in the graphic
> window. The program gives an error message:"ERROR:the minimum value of the
> forward fourier transform range exceeds the maximum value". However, I've
> tried with Athena 0.8.024 (IFEFFIT 1.2.5) and it worked very well.
> How can I plot all the groups in the same graphic window using Athena
> 0.8.032? Thank you very much

Gael,

For starters, do any of the groups that you want to plot indeed have
the FT kmax larger than the FT kmin, as the program is complaining
about?

I am not really going to be able to address this question in any
detail without an example.  Obviously, this behavior does not happen
for me (I would have noticed it!) so I do not know what causes Athena
to behave this way.  If you send me an example project file which
demonstrates this behavior, then I will have a chance of finding a
solution.

P.S.  Gael, did you get the mail I sent you on October 19th?  I sent
you a private email message saying essentially the same thing I said
above, but later that day I received a warning message saying that the
mail could not be delivered but that it would keep trying for 5 more
days.  I am guessing that you never did receive that one......

For the sake of completeness and in the interest of finding a solution
to your problem, I'll attach that mail below in hopes that you will
get mail from the mailing list even if there is some problem with
sending mail from my computer.

  Hi Gael,

   Glad you were able to clear up your problem with the data file.

   > When I select several opened groups as marked groups and plot them
   > in E (using plot marked groups in E), only one spectrum appears in
   > the graphic window and I can't see them together in order to
   > compare. I've tried with Athena 0.8.024 (IFEFFIT 1.2.5) and it
   > worked very well.

   I have never seen the behavior you describe and have not heard it
   reported from others.  I would like to ask that you do a couple of
   things to help me diagnose the problem.

   1.  Prepare a small example of the situation by importing a small
       number of data files into Athena such that you see the problem.
   2.  Save the project to a file and email me the project file.
   3.  In the email which contains the project file, explain to me in a
       few words what you do to see the problem.  By this I mean a
       narrative like "first I click the purple buttons next to groups a,
       b, and c then I click the purple plot button with an R on it."

   That will at least be a good start towards figuring out the problem.
   I may need some more information in follow up discussions.

   I also want to thank you quite a bit for taking the time to explore
   these questions.  It is very easy for a user to run into a problem.
   become frustrated, and quit using the program.  When that happens, it
   is a lost opportunity for me.  My programs get better thanks to the
   input of users who kindly spend the time communicating to me when they
   run into problems.  The codes would be a lot worse without the input
   of folks like yourself.

 Bruce Ravel  ----------------------------------- ravel at phys.washington.edu
 Code 6134, Building 3, Room 405
 Naval Research Laboratory                          phone: (1) 202 767 2268
 Washington DC 20375, USA                             fax: (1) 202 767 4642

 Beamlines X11a, X11b, X23b
 National Synchrotron Light Source