[Ifeffit] Is artemis running on G5 Mac,

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Thu Oct 14 16:54:10 CDT 2004

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004, POGER David 202545 wrote:

> I fear it doesn't work for me. I have untared the Horae-045.tar
> file in the Ifeffit directory. And when I type 'perl
> Makefile.PL', the installation script crashes and says 'Could
> not open /config/Config.mak file for reading'. The Greek gods
> may not be with me! I'll wait for the next tarball... Thanks a
> lot in adavance!

This is probably still an issue with permissions, but I'm not sure
what you did exactly. It sounds like you tried to run horae_update
in the Applications/Ifeffit directory.  If so, this probably won't
work, as you probably do NOT have write permissions to the
/Applications/Ifeffit directory, and horae_update creates a
folder (horae-045) to build the code it will install.

Let me be more specific.  Sorry if most of this is obvious!
  1. Open a Terminal
  2. move to your home directory: Type 'cd'.
  3. run horae_update with permission to write to the
     /Library/Perl and /Applications/Ifeffit.  Type
     'sudo horae_update'.  When prompted for a password,
     type the password for your user account (that is,
     the same one you logged in as).

  4. If you get a message that says 'command not found', then
     read the message.
     a) if the message begins 'bash: ... command not found'
        then type '. /Applications/Ifeffit/bin/iff_init.sh'
        Yes, that's a '.' followed by a space.
     b) if the message begins 'tcsh: ... command not found'
        then type 'source /Applications/Ifeffit/bin/iff_init.csh'

     Then do 'sudo horae_udate' again.

If you already have the horae-045.tar.gz file, 'sudo horae_update'
is exactly the same as:
    tar xvzf horae-045.tar.gz
    cd horae-045
    perl Makefile.PL
    sudo make install

Once the installation is successful, you can remove the
'horae-045' folder.