[Ifeffit] Is artemis running on G5 Mac,

Bruce Ravel ravel at phys.washington.edu
Wed Oct 13 12:22:59 CDT 2004

On Wednesday 13 October 2004 12:49 pm, Matt Newville wrote:
> Hi,
>
> OK, I agree that a simple 'horae_update' also did not work to
> update thes for me. It appears that the new codes are built
> but not installed.  This definitely did work for me:
>     tar xvzf horae-045.tar.gz
>     cd horae-045
>     perl Makefile.PL
>     make
>     sudo make install
>
> I believe that 'sudo horae_update' will also work.
>
> --Matt
>
> PS:  Oddly, without the 'sudo', horae_update did not give a
> warning about installing as root.  I got largely the same log file
> as Stefano, and also got this on the screen:
>
> print() on closed filehandle OUT at /Applications/Ifeffit/bin/horae_update
> line 263.
>
> perhaps this is printed to STDERR not STDOUT?? it's not in
> horae_update.log.  Anyway, this is where the warning about
> trying to install as someone other than root is.
>
> The horae_update could probably use other improvements, as
>   horae_update --force --file=horae-045.tar.gz
>
> still attempts to download the tarball, requires it to
> be named 'horae-045.tar.gz' and then deletes it.

What you said is exactly right.  There was a problem that had
horae_update complain about a closed file handle and exit just before
doing the "make install" step.  I think I fixed it and asked Stefano
to give it a try.

I'll post a fix tomorrow (I hope) and the fix will be included in the
next tarball.

 Bruce Ravel  ----------------------------------- ravel at phys.washington.edu
 Code 6134, Building 3, Room 405
 Naval Research Laboratory                          phone: (1) 202 767 2268
 Washington DC 20375, USA                             fax: (1) 202 767 4642

 Beamlines X11a, X11b, X23b
 National Synchrotron Light Source