[Ifeffit] Re: Iffefit for Mac OSX 10.3

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Fri Oct 8 10:12:42 CDT 2004

Hi Ann,

I think this should have been to the Ifeffit list:

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004, Ann Liang wrote:

> Hi Bruce or Matt,
>
> I encountered some problems with athena when I recently switched my
> workstation from PC to Mac.  The graphic window didn't show up at all which
> made it impossible to process any data.  Could you please provide me some
> guidance on this issue?

I assume you installed the Mac installer (ifeffit-1.2.6_Mac10.3.dmg).
I'm not sure what the problem is, but I'd recommend these steps:

First, install Aquaterm from http://aquaterm.sourceforge.net/ .
That might 'just fix' the problem.

If it doesn't, edit the file /Applications/Ifeffit/bin/iff_init.sh
to read (line 7)
export PGPLOT_DEV=/XS

instead of
export PGPLOT_DEV=/AQT

(Make sure to leave no extra space around the = sign).

That will tell Ifeffit to use X-Window graphics instead of
Aquaterm.  The Aquaterm device is a little bit nicer, but the
X-Windows one should definitely work.  If you're running athena by
clicking the icon, that should be enough.  If you're running
athena by typing 'athena' in a Terminal, _and_ you're using the
tcsh shell, you should also edit
/Applications/Ifeffit/bin/iff_init.csh to read

setenv PGPLOT_DEV /XS

(Here, the space is necessary and there is no = sign!! The syntax
for these two shells is different, but the meaning is the same).

Hope that's enough, and sorry for the pain.  If not let me know,