[Ifeffit] Using more than one E0

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Mon May 31 10:01:43 CDT 2004

Hi Scott,

Oh, I definitely agree that C3 can be important, even below
room temp for some systems.  The questions are (or were) if
using more than one E0 is ever needed and whether it can be
justified.  It seems to me that the answer to that is yes.

You suggested that multiple E0s might be a manifestation of
needing a C3 but instead compensating with an additional E0
as a fudge factor.  It should be easy to make up some data
with a non-zero C3 and try to fit it with multiple E0s, or
to make up data with multiple E0 shifts and see how well it
could be fit with a C3.  That might be a fun little project
for a student.  If someone were to try this, I'd recommend
adding some noise to the "data" using random(dist=normal).