[Ifeffit] Updating problems.

Dave Baker dabaker at unity.ncsu.edu
Fri May 28 20:17:50 CDT 2004

Hello all.  This message is directed mainly toward Bruce, but if anyone
else has any suggestions, please feel free to contribute.

For a while now, I have been using Athena and Artemis on my work
computer with a broadband internet connection, and all the updates have
auto-detected and installed without a hitch.  The problem is that now, I
want to use the programs on my home computer, for which I am simply too
cheap to buy anything better than dialup service.  The updater,
unfortunately, has choked several times when trying to download and
install the 9 updates it says I need.  (In fact, one time the echo
screen stated that all the updates were installed, but when I restarted
and opened Athena and Artemis, I was confronted with the old versions of
the programs.)  I haven't seen any "new and fully updated windows
installers" on either Matt's or Bruce's pages, and it isn't clear to me
how to get at the update files without the assistance of the updater
itself.  (I seem to recall reading that one can simply unzip the
ifup_00x.zip file in the Ifeffit directory, run make_bats.exe, and all
will be well.)  Is there a way I can use the broadband connection at
school to grab the updates and install them myself on the home computer
without the use of the updater?  Or, is there a place that the updater
stores the .zip files after it's done updating the program, so I can
just grab them off the work computer?  Thanks for your help!
-Dave

North Carolina State University
Dept. of Physics
2700 Stinton Dr. Box 8202