[Ifeffit] chi.dat (was: Uing more than one E0??)

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Fri May 28 11:12:36 CDT 2004

Bruce said:

> It turns out that it is extremely well hidden.  Sufficiently well
> hidden that I had to start digging through the feff6L source code.
>
> It seems that the last module (the one that writes chi.dat) is never
> called in feff6L.  Indeed, the call to the last module is commented
> out in the file feff.f.
>
> Question for Matt:
>   Is there a reason that the call to ff2chi is commeted out in feff6L?
>   I just uncommented that block and, in the one case I tried, it ran
>   to completion.
>
> If you would like to fix this by hand (you'll need a fortran
> compiler!), just go to the src/feff6/ folder in the ifeffit source
> code distribution and edit the file feff.f.  Right at the end is a
> comment out bit that starts "if (mchi .eq. 1)".  Uncomment that block,
> recompile, and move the excutable to its proper place in the path.
> Then "PRINT 1 0 0 0" will work just fine.

Feff6L does not calculate chi.dat because, as far as I can
tell, chi.dat has no use.  With Ifeffit, the sum over paths
is "trivial" (in the physicists sense of "not impossible").
With Artemis, it's actually easy.  It's better to do this
step with Ifeffit/Artemis because you can use any number of
paths you want (as for a spline() standard), add paths from
different runs of Feff, put in sigma2 terms, etc, and get the
outputs in any format, not the strange format of chi.dat.

Did you need it for something?  If so, I'd rather link feff6l
with libifeffit and use Ifeffit's sum of path to reduce code
with repeated functionality.