[Ifeffit] artemis on Mac OS X (was: Autobk parameters)

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Thu May 27 22:06:59 CDT 2004

Hi,

I also see Stefano's problem trying to import an Atoms.inp into
artemis on Mac OSX.  I think it occurs at the
   ## make a project feff folder
   unless ($just_parse) {
   }
block in sub import_atoms{}.

In fact, I get a malloc 'out of memory error':

*** malloc: vm_allocate(size=2147483648) failed (error code=3)
*** malloc[1056]: error: Can't allocate region
Out of memory!

somewhere in this block.  I get a print statement after the
Ifeffit::Path->new(), and it seemed to die at the line
   (@autoparams = autoparams_define($id, $n_feff, 0)) if $config{autoparams}{do_autoparams};

which seemed odd. I haven't pursued it any more than that.

Running darwin's top, I do not see a noticeable change in memory
usage on trying to import the Atoms.inp useful. On my laptop, one
run said there was 175M free before running artemis, and 140M after
starting artemis, but before opening an Atoms.inp file.  A second
attempt (stopping some processes, restarting X11), had 240M free
before running artemis, 200M after running artemis, and the same
crash on opening an Atoms.inp file.  I definitely don't see this
problem on linux, even on machines with much less actual memory. So
I think it's not actual memory usage.  That leads me to suspect
perl/Tk.

Any ideas, Bruce?  Paul?