[Ifeffit] horae_update and proxy servers

Bruce Ravel ravel at phys.washington.edu
Tue May 25 16:47:25 CDT 2004

On Tuesday 25 May 2004 05:19 pm, Matt Newville wrote:
> I was wondering whether the original question was really asking for
> supporting web proxies or was simply asking for more download sites.

Mauro's original question was indeed about web proxies, as a followup,
private conversation confirmed.  Using perl's LWP::UserAgent, it turns
out to be quite easy to handle proxies in roll-your-own web client
programs.  Mauro gave it a test for me and said it worked properly.

I then implemented your other suggestion, which was to use
SourceForge.  Thanks, great idea!  It seems to work fine from my
limited testing.  I was thinking of putting it on my web page so
people could try it out for the next release.  Drop me a line if you'd
like to try it out right now.

I don't know how to get SourceForge to multiplex a request to the
(nearest | least busy | whatever) mirror, but I did put in a command
line argument allowing the user to specify one of five mirrors.

(Side question that I could not find on the SF web site, how many
 mirrors are there and can anyone provide a link to the complete list?
 It bugs me that I did not see any mirrors in Asia, Australia, or
 South America.)

> I think having more potential download sites and letting a user
> decide which one to use might be good enough.  If a user wanted to,
> they could put the tarball on their own web server and easily point
> to that site from multiple nearby machines.

This final point is intriguing.  Is there anyone running multiple unix
machines who is interested in doing what Matt suggests?  It would not
be hard to implement, but I may not bother unless someone thinks
they'll use it.

 Bruce Ravel  ----------------------------------- ravel at phys.washington.edu
 Code 6134, Building 3, Room 405
 Naval Research Laboratory                          phone: (1) 202 767 2268
 Washington DC 20375, USA                             fax: (1) 202 767 4642

 Beamlines X11a, X11b, X23b
 National Synchrotron Light Source