[Ifeffit] horae_update and proxy servers

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Tue May 25 16:19:05 CDT 2004

Hi,

> > Would it be good enough to allow the user to select where to
> > download the tarball from, and rely on the Sourceforge mirrors?
>
> That would certainly be much more robust than sending the traffic to
> my web site, but I don't see how it mitigates the problem of getting
> the horae_update script to connect to a local proxy.

I was wondering whether the original question was really asking for
supporting web proxies or was simply asking for more download sites.
I think having more potential download sites and letting a user
decide which one to use might be good enough.  If a user wanted to,
they could put the tarball on their own web server and easily point
to that site from multiple nearby machines.

I don't have a very good idea of how many people would want to do
tha (how many groups are keeping horae running on multiple Unix
machines???), but it would be possible.

I'd guess more people are running these programs on multiple Windows
machines.  The updater seems to be OK for that, but perhaps there
should be more download sites for the Windows updates as well?