[Ifeffit] [help] ifeffit -i = segmentation fault

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Mon May 24 16:28:33 CDT 2004

Mauro,

> *BUT* when I try to recompile horae-034 it crash on determining ifeffit
> version. In fact, if I run "ifeffit -i" it gives me:
>
> Segmentation fault
> (Killed, on another machine)

Does running ifeffit from the command line:
  ~>ifeffit -i

give a segfault?  It sounded like it did, but I wasn't completely
sure.  I'm not sure what '(Killed, on another machine)' means.

If the command-line program fails, you can take perl out the
equation (sorry you reinstalled perl stuff, but fortunately Debian
packages are so good that you can easily uninstall and go back to
what you had before <wink>).  Next, try a
  ~>ldd /usr/local/bin/ifeffit

which will list what ifeffit is linked with.  Is anything obviously
wrong there (like does libpgplot.so show up in this list)?

Since you're working on a debian system, I will ask whether you
installed Ifeffit from source and are using the PGPLOT installed
from PGPLOT_install, or are using debian packages for these?  If
you're using debian packages for Ifeffit or PGPLOT, please
remove these and reinstall from source.

Paul Fons wrote:

> Perhaps it is a good thing to ask here, if the library naming has
> changed on linux as well.  Certainly on the Mac it has.  There the
> dynamic library for pgplot was changed and I saw dynamic linking
> errors when I tried running the latest version of horae on my home
> brew setup.

Nope, the library naming has not changed for linux. It probably
should change.  On MacOSX I named my static PGPLOT library
libpgplot_iff.a and built static copies of libpng and zlib as well,
renaming them to libpng_iff.a and libz_iff.a.  This prevents the
link statements from pointing to dynamic versions of libpgplot,
libpng, and libz, which might be present (say, from Fink) and which
will inevitably fail.  That's really only a change to how PGPLOT is
set up, but it seems to be the source of many problems.  Ifeffit's
configuration step is supposed to figure out how to link to PGPLOT,
but there can be problems when having dynamic libraries present.