[Ifeffit] New horae library setup

Paul Fons paul-fons at aist.go.jp
Mon May 24 02:08:47 CDT 2004

   No what was causing me problems were errors related to perl 5.8.1.  I
thought about it a little and decided that in so far as I know none of
the bugs in apple's version of perl were biting and that I might as
well downgrade from 5.8.3 to 5.8.1.  Apple has also made a shared
library for 5.8.1 that includes prebinding information that according
to the perl readme is not so easily reproduced (hence manual installs
of perl are static).  Having read this again, I downgraded perl (pulled
up the old version from another mac (from Italy to Japan none the less)
and then fiddled a little with the init script so that the DYLD path
would be correct and ... hey what do you know, it works!  First try!  I
think I will be happier being in sync with the rest of the exafs world.
  Besides, now I have a bunch of new data that needs to be analyzed from
my Italian (spent almost all inside Elettra) sojourn.

						Ciao
							Paul

On May 24, 2004, at 5:17 AM, Matt Newville wrote:

> Hi Paul,
>
> Starting from the latest installer package (still only on the CARS
> server), running horae_update worked for me....  Well, OK, I did
>   ~> source /Applications/Ifeffit/bin/iff_init.csh
>   ~> horae_update
>   ~> cd horae-034
>   ~> sudo make install
>
> To build the latest installe, I built the PGPLOT/aquaterm carefully
> and by hand, and installed the latest Perl/Tk804 from source.
> Starting with that (which does assume Apple's perl 5.8.1), the
> ifeffit source can be updated from the standard source kit with
>    ~> ./configure --prefix=/Applications/Ifeffit
>    ~> sudo make install
>
> and horae with a variation of the above.  I'll gladly send more, but
> the source kits should now 'just work' for Mac OS 10.3 (and Apple's
> perl).  Even using a later perl, I think it should be pretty simple
> to build from source, but maybe I'm missing something.  That is,
> install the installer, compile the ifeffit kit, then make sure
> perl/Tk worked with the newer perl, and try to run horae_update. It
> might work.  The installer does write to /Library/Perl, but there
> ought to be a 5.8.1 and 5.8.* directories that isolate binary stuff
> between version changes.  Of course, you can also simply move copies
> of this folder around.
>
> I could try to put together instructions for how I built PGPLOT if
> you really want to start from scratch, but I don't think that's what
> is tripping you up.
>
> Let me know if that's not clear enough,
>
> --Matt
>
>> I was going to roll my own version of the latest incarnation of horae,
>> but I noticed the library structure and install location has changed
>> (at least on os x).  Can you elaborate on this (Matt or Bruce)?
>>
>> Better yet, is there a tar image of the source available for the mac
>> os
>> x version.  Earlier I upgraded perl to 5.8.3 and then the older Tk
>> broke so I was off on my own, so I was compiling everything myself,
>> but
>> now that the install is becoming more and more os x aware (thanks to
>> Matt) it would seem to make sense to downgrade to Apple's older perl
>> (which has prebinding enabled).  Of course, now it only makes sense to
>> get in sync with the official sources.  Would it be possible to put up
>> the sources on your web site Matt?
>>
>>    					 Paul (an Italian (Elettra) for a ten days)

Dr. Paul Fons
Senior Researcher
National Institute for Advanced Industrial Science & Technology
METI
Center for Applied Near-Field Optics Research (CANFOR)
AIST Central 4, Higashi 1-1-1
Tsukuba, Ibaraki JAPAN 305-8568

tel. +81-298-61-5636
fax. +81-298-61-2939