[Ifeffit] a cautionary tale

Peter Southon p.southon at usyd.edu.au
Thu May 20 20:15:13 CDT 2004

Hello fellow Ifeffiters

This a story about making feff.inp input files for FEFF. The more
experienced readers of this list will probably be well aware of the issues
involved, but I thought that relative newcomers such as myself might not
know (which is why I'm posting this on the Ifefft list rather than the Feff
list).
In a nutshell, it is wise to create a large cluster of atoms to put into
Feff (ie use a large Rmax in Atoms), but limit the number of paths with a
reduced Rmax in Feff.

I used Artemis/Atoms to make up a Feff input file (feff.inp) from
crystallographic parameters, setting Rmax in Atoms to a relatively large
value of 7.5 Å to create quite a large cluster of atoms. I then used FEFF
to calculate scattering paths within the cluster, but first reduced the
Rmax in feff.inp to 5.5 Å to limit the number of paths. So far so good.

I then (for reasons too involved to discuss here) edited the feff.inp file
to delete all atoms more than 5.5 Å from the centre, and ran Feff again.
The results (judging from the relative amplitude values) were different,
and in the case of some paths very different. Some intense paths changed in
amplitude by a factor of 2 or greater, although I haven't looked at the
finer details of the Feff results. The paths that changed the most were
high-order multiple scattering paths, and surprisingly those paths did not
involve atoms at the edges of the 5.5 Å radius.

Now I'm sure that someone else can explain the reasons for this much better
than I can, but I assume that the potentials for the atoms outside the 5.5
Å radius (which were neglected in the second calculations) significantly
affect those inside the radius.
I know that its always been my practice to perform the Feff calculation
using only those atoms that I think are contributing to my spectrum, and
I'm sure that others do the same. My advice is to use a larger cluster of
atoms in Feff if you can - but as to how large I might leave that to
someone else to comment.

Regards,
Peter

PS - and four cheers to Bruce for improvements to Artemis, I can't wait for
the Windows update.

Peter Southon
Post Doctoral Fellow
School of Chemistry