[Ifeffit] Starting out with Artemis 0.7.003

Bruce Ravel ravel at phys.washington.edu
Tue May 18 20:54:09 CDT 2004

On Tuesday 18 May 2004 08:22 pm, m.bondin at pgrad.unimelb.edu.au wrote:
> Hi all - I am starting out with the latest release of Artemis on Win XP
> (thought I would give the new and improved version a go since I like the
> idea of incorporating atoms in the fitting interface). I read in my data
> file and atoms file, got my feff.inp then attempted to generate my feff
> paths - Artemis asked me to pick an option (first ten, all etc) and gave me
> a new window with no paths listed and the message "Artemis trapped a
> warning!  Message dumped to C:\Program Files\Ifeffit\horae\ARTEMIS.TRAP" Is
> Atoms now able to claculate feff paths and display them within Artemis or
> does it not yet have this capability?

As I said here:
  http://millenia.cars.aps.anl.gov/pipermail/ifeffit/2004-May/000936.html
it is my intention that all the features in the code work as advertised when I
make a release.  I said that Atoms was incorporated into Artemis and
described its use in the draft of the document on my web site.  Assuming you
do not run into a bug, Artemis indeed works as you said.

That said, 0.7.003 had a number of problems, many of which have been reported
on the list.  I have been hard at work for the last month squishing bugs and
adding features.  One bug I squished did have to do with path importation --
specifically what happens if you ask to import 10 paths and fewer than 10
were generated.  In that case 0.7.003 fails poorly.  0.7.004 will proceed
gracefully in that case.

I am just about ready to release 0.7.004.  I am at NSLS today, but I may get
things together by the end of the week.  Certainly by next week.

Another thing I said in that post was this:
     "If I cannot replicate the problem you are seeing, I
      will not be not be able to fix it."
I went on to explain how I can only replicate the problem if you demonstrate
it to me.  That remains true.

 Bruce Ravel  ----------------------------------- ravel at phys.washington.edu
 Code 6134, Building 3, Room 222
 Naval Research Laboratory                          phone: (1) 202 767 2268
 Washington DC 20375, USA                             fax: (1) 202 767 4642

 Beamlines X11a, X11b, X23b
 National Synchrotron Light Source